Wood boring bugs

mileleAugust 10, 2012

Hello, is there any product in US that takes care of tiny wood boring bugs? I cannot see the bugs but thare is wood powder in some areas inside one of the dressers. The furniture I am trying to restore are more than 100 years old. Back to my Country we have these product and it is common practice to treat old furniture with that but I cannot find any equivalent product in US. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance

Milele (from EU)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Solutions will vary by state. Fumigation is the most certain way of killing the bugs, but is nearly impossible to have done in some places (like Massachusetts). Borate-containing products are the ones most widely recommended and available (Bora-Care is one brand name). With a piece of furniture you can inject it into the holes using a syringe and hope that it will permeate the wood to reach the bugs that are left inside (the hole is left when the insect bores its way out and leaves). You can also paint it on any unfinished surfaces.

I'd be very leery of bringing infested wood into my house, so would first look into having the piece fumigated.

    Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 3:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Are you sure the drawers aren't scraping?

    Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 8:21PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™