I need help replacing closet doors

sandcaAugust 15, 2010

I would like to replace my thin, flimsy, front closet bypass doors with something that would be functional but feel more upscale. Dimensions of opening are 69 1/2" x 82" and it is not trimmed out just drywall.

I don't like bifold doors. I find them awkward to open and close

I could buy heavy duty bypass tracks and use 36" wood or MDF panel doors but the doors wouldn't sit flush (second door would be offset by at least 1 1/2")

I think 32"? regular hinge double doors would have too wide a swing.

I saw some 24" pine 10 panel doors that I really liked. Could I rip 1/2" off each side and make a three door system with a single door hinged on an outside wall and double doors one hinged on a partition wall and the other hinged on the other outside wall? I would prefer 3 doors sitting flush similar to frameless kitchen cabinets with a minimal space between the single and double doors. Would the partition wall have to be a 2x3 or 2x4 wall or could I make a particle board box similar to a tall frameless kitchen cabinet (screw it into the header, walls and subfloor) and use one of the cabinet walls for the partion wall? I could put a drawer bank with the glides attached to this cabinet. Would I need a full back on this cabinet for support or just screw in 3 horizontal strips to provide support? I'm worried about the partition wall being strong enough to support a wooden door and drawers. Could I use heavy duty European style hidden hinges or refrigerator hinges to get 3 flush doors or is this totally a bad idea? Would I have to use a short stub wall with door jams and trim with European style hidden hinges or would I just need them if I used regular hinges?

Which alternative looks to be the best. Any help or other ideas would be appreciated. I always have big ideas but lack the knowledge or experience to know if they are feasible. That was always my husband"s job.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
someone2010

taunton books puts out a book called the "DOORHANGER'S HANDBOOK". I have hung double doors with astragals in the middle, but I have not hung three door combinations in the manner you suggest. This book will show you how (or not) to implement your ideas. You may be able to buy a used one at a good price. I have made and hung many doors using this book as a guide.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 1:57AM
More Discussions
Finish for mantle
We had someone make a mantle from pine and while it's...
Jennifer White Green
Right size tip-out tray for kitchen sink cabinet
My kitchen sink cabinet is 24" wide. I want to...
africanboy
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
hoganjr
Sponsored Products
AICO Furniture - Cortina Entertainment Center w/Bookcases -...
Great Furniture Deal
Aries Bronze Double Coat Hook - Living Bronze
Signature Hardware
Montana Woodworks Glacier Country Utility Stand
Beyond Stores
Daytona 60" Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Domitalia | Life-3C Sideboard
YLiving.com
Full Extension 24-inch 100-lb Ball Bearing Drawer Slides (1 pair)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™