Need a gift recommendation for a young electrician

enmnmMay 12, 2011

We were invited to a graduation party for a HS senior who is in an electrical training program and is in the process of applying to a related trade school. Can anyone recommend a nice and creative gift? The only thing I thought of was a kindle with the U.S. electric guidelines/manuals installed, but I'm not sure I wanted to spend *that* much.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

The one thing I use every day is my subscription to the online version of the above. It's small dollars you can buy him a years worth or something. www.necplus.com

Tools are always appreciated. Greenlee makes a nice little pouch with a receptacle tester, VOM, and non contact tester for under $30 at Lowes and elsewhere.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 10:52AM
civ_IV_fan

honestly, a gift card to the local hardware store - i'd recommend something like a local Ace or True Value as opposed to Lowe's and Depot - prices are the same - that would be a perfect gift, although i understand you may want something more personal.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 2:16PM
davidro1

an abacus. You can hang it on the wall. It is an emergency calculator that works without electricity.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 5:39PM
enmnm

The abacus and small tool kits are great ideas. If anyone has any more, I'd love to hear them.

No gift cards--he's got his own money, and his parents have plenty of more money.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 3:22PM
kalining

is he going for commercial,industrial or residential ? If commercial,industrial i'd suggest Heated thermal underwear. If residential i'd suggest and coarse in anger management. He'll find out what i mean.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 7:01PM
spencer_electrician

I wish this site had a "like" button similar to facebook for kalining's comment hah. 6th year into my mainly residential business so I've found out hah.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 7:43PM
maryland_irisman

A couple of things came to my mind...a really good set of lineman's pliers. A good high quality wire stripper. About 35 years ago my ex-mother-in-law bought me a small analog pocket multimeter I seem to still use to this day for quick continuity, voltage checks. If you want to go just a but higher in cost, a circuit tracer might come in handy. It does depend, as noted earlier, the field he intends to enter might require some more specialty tools but I think these basic tools would be a help. An anger management tutorial as kalining mentioned is a must for residential.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Swimming pool wiring
I have 2 gfci circuits operating two pool pumps. Is...
dalemd88
Dryer power cord next to vent
My contractor is enlarging the dryer vent hole in the...
phil2015
Sponsored Products
Floral Green 18-Inch Cotton Decorative Pillow
$60.00 | Bellacor
Franklin Sports NHL Mini Hockey Goal Set - 12442P1
$27.53 | Hayneedle
Fucsia 12 Multipoint Pendant by Flos Lighting
$3,995.00 | Lumens
Navaho Wind Pine 18-Inch Square Pillow
$43.99 | Bellacor
Eliot U-Sofa Sectional - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Spring Tension Decorative Curtain Rod Rings (Pack of 14)
Overstock.com
'Biscuits and Gravy' Organic Tea Towel
$17.99 | zulily
Bronze with Geneva Cinnabar Shade Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™