sub-panel grounding rod in same structure as service panel?

jeff_in_lalalandMay 21, 2010

I've hired an electrician to replace a sub-panel in my attached garage. The sub-panel will be bonded via EMT to the service entrance, which is on the outside of the garage -- definitely the same structure. He claims I also have to drive a grounding rod for the sub-panel, and add a GEC from the sub-panel to a nearby water pipe. I don't want to because it costs more, looks ugly, and is likely to confuse future buyers. I can't see any reason for me to do this. Is this a new requirement in the most recent NEC? (I live in Los Angeles)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

He is 100% INCORRECT.
NO grounding electrode and NO water bond!

A 4-wire feeder is all that is required or wanted.
A 3-wire feeder in a complete metallic conduit system works as well, but the fittings must be made up tight and the bonding on both ends must be correct.

    Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 6:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, Petey_racer

    Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 12:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

He is not even wrong.

If you DID add another grounding electrode it would need to be bonded to the existing grounding electrode.

This guy is a hack.

A sub-panel in the same structure (including an attached garage) needs a four wire feed.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 8:57AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™