Finishing Cabinet Drawers

bob_cvilleAugust 2, 2007

I'm in the process of redoing my kitchen. I purchased "Ready-to-assemble" cabinets from Scherr's. The cabinet exteriors were finished, however the drawer boxes are unassembled and unfinished. I'm in the process of glueing-up the dovetailed hardwood drawer boxes and have been thinking about how to finish them.

I plan to just put a simple clear protective coat on them to protect the wood from water and stains. I have been thinking of using a clear water-based polyurethane, but was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to spray the poly on rather than brush it on since there are something like 33 drawer boxes and pull-out trays to be finished.

-Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmealy

For the w/b acrylics that I use, spraying is the way to go. Both much faster and better finish.

You are wise to avoid oil-based products on the interior of casework to avoid lingering smells.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 5:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob_cville

For spraying, given that I don't currently have a paint sprayer, should I get one of the cheap crappy wagner type sprayers, or should I spring for a better one, that I wouldn't have to throw out in relatively short order?
Hmmm. I think I just answered my own question. Any recommendations as to what paint sprayer to get?

-Bob

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
stripedbass
Brand new dewalt planer, not feeding?
Hopefully it's just me doing something wrong. It's...
fireweed22
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™