Does the light switch in bathroom need to be on a GFCI?

krislrMay 24, 2013

Hello,

We're purchasing a home and recently had an inspection completed. One of the safety items that was redlined by the inspector relayed the following:

"The light switch for the shower light was located just outside of the shower (closer than 5 feet) and is not on a GFCI circuit. Recommend putting the light on a GFCI circuit to provide the potential for electrocution."

Call me clueless, but I thought only outlets were on GFCI circuits. If we ask an electricion to follow the inspector's recommendations, would it be considered an unusual request? How difficult is it to convert a receptacle to GFCI?

Thanks
Kristi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

"Recommend putting the light on a GFCI circuit to provide the potential for electrocution."
Is this precisely what he wrote? Idiocy!!
The existing switch location complies with Article 404.3(C) of the 2011 NEC.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 6:53AM
krislr

Thank you, bus_driver. I appreciate your feedback. I was really worried given the wording, but I'm not at all familiar with electrical code so thought I'd check in here.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:04AM
Ron Natalie

While Bus and I both have relatively low regard for most home inspector, let's skip over that.

If the light is in the shower area it needs to be damp rated, if it can be exposed to spray (which with your hand shower I would count as a YES) then it must be wet rated. Almost every wet rated shower light I've seen REQUIRES a GFCI by its manufacturer.

So, there's a strong possibility that it should have a GFCI, but you can't tell for sure unless you look specifically at the fixture and check with the manufacturer.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:31AM
krislr

The wording in my original post is a compilation of what was stated at the inspection and what was written in the report.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:34AM
bus_driver

The problem I have is that the report of such inspectors has huge ramifications, and if in error, can be quite difficult and expensive to correct. And some of them vastly overestimate their abilities.
The competent ones or those who are willing to learn are OK by me.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:54AM
krislr

ronnatalie, that's what a friend who tinkers with wires told me, too. What is involved in making changing an unprotected switch to CFGI?

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:09PM
petey_racer

The wording of that HI is flat out scare tactics IMO.
I HATE it when those clowns use electrical as a venue to justify their means by using these scare tactics.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 9:09AM
petey_racer

"Almost every wet rated shower light I've seen REQUIRES a GFCI by its manufacturer."

Do you have any references to this, or any kind of documentation?
Your opinion here is one of the most well respected, but in all my years I have only seen this a couple of times, and what you are saying contradicts this.
I am curious as to what lights you've seen that require GFI protection.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™