SHGC ? I want the heat to come thru in the winter.

angeezOctober 30, 2012

I am confused about what type of glass will work for us. We are in the process of ordering Marvin INfinity windows but I am afraid of the glass options. The low e 272 is what we just ordered but it looks like the SHGC is .30. Does that mean no barely any heat is going to come thru the glass in the winter? We have anderson casement right now that are 21 years old and I can feel heat come thru in the winter and I like it because it is warm. Is there a good SHGC value to look at that will let some warmth come in?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eastbay10

Lowe 272 is a good compromise. However, if you are looking for passive solar, the better glass is lowe 180. Hopefully, you have protection in the summer months.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 7:28PM
HomeSealed

+1. The 272 and SHGC around .30 is going to be a nice compromise and a very efficient option unless your home and its surroundings (landscaping etc) are designed to take advantage of a high solar gain package. You could also get into different packages on different sides of the home based on the circumstances, but again, the .30 will offer a nice balance for most homes in cooler climates.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 8:28PM
windowsonwashington

+1

Low-e 272 is probably fine for your application.

Most people's homes are not set up to take full advantage of the passive solar anyway.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 8:43PM
angeez

thank you! I called called Anderson today to see if they could tell me what my current windows are because I do feel some heat from them and turns out they are very comparable to what we ordered. So should be about the same. THANKS again!

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 9:48PM
Trapper1

LoE 180 is intended for passive solar heat applications. Whether it's right for your application depends on the specifics...

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Feedback / sanity check on Marvin & Kolbe quotes
So I got my rough quotes from a local Marvin Design...
aptosca
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™