retro fitting non grounded receptacles

larry1987May 13, 2010

have a simple question: i would like to replace the old non ground receps in my 1955 house with grounded, three prong receps. each existing outlet box is metal and has a white and black entering the box but no green or bare wire. how would you suggest i install the new receps with 3 prongs? Should i use those "green clips" that attached to the side of metal boxes and that hold the bare wire which is then screwed onto the green ground screw of the new recep? what is the right way to go? thanks!! larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joed

You need to determine if the box is actually grounded before you can use those clips.

You can use GFCI receptacles and not connect anything to the ground screw. You will be able to plug in three prong devices but they will still not be grounded.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 8:13AM
normel

Or you can just replace the old 2-prong with new 2-prong.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 1:34PM
Billl

I assume you want a ground for the added safety. If so, your "ground" needs to be connected to an actual ground. It is not safe to assume that all metal boxes are grounded. If it is just a metal box in the wall, then that won't help at all.

If those boxes aren't connected to ground, you would need to run new cable to each outlet you want grounded.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 3:00PM
brickeyee

You can obtain nearly the same level of protection by using GFCI receptacles.

This is a code approved way to put 3-hole receptacles on a circuit without a grounding conductor.

Every GFCI receptacle comes with the required stickers.
The 'No equipment ground sticker' goes on the GFCI receptacle, while any downstream (load side of the GFCI) 3-hole duplex receptacles get the 'GFCI protected' AND a 'No equipment ground' stickers.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Lights Flickering...
We paid an electrician to put in a ceiling light in...
regina_phalange
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™