Any thing more for outdoor furniture after it's polyurethaned?

Tiffany AltieriAugust 1, 2011

My husband and I are purchasing an outdoor sectional that is stained a dark color and polyurethaned. It will sit on a concrete patio in sunny California. Is there anything more I do to protect it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aidan_m

The poly will peel off. Depending on how much you like to do work, and how new you want the patio furniture to look...you might want to keep it covered when it's not in use.

If you have a wood deck you're successfully maintaining, treat the wood patio furniture the same. Use the same products and process for the cleaning and refinishing. (operative word: successfully)

Too bad that we can't find a dang outdoor finish that's worth a toot. That's one annoyance about living in CA. I honestly can't recommend one, and there are too many to list which I've tried.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 6:04PM
Tiffany Altieri

LoL - really? Which has been the best - best for lack of a better word, since apparently they all failed. I keep hearing people talk about marine spar urethane. Have you tried that? I think I'd have to sand off the poly first to apply it though right? Just putting it on top will just make it peel with the poly I'm guessing.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 12:15AM
bobismyuncle

Marine Spar Urethane (generally characterized by Minwax Helmsman) is sort of an oxymoron. Urethane has poor UV resistance, yet it's touted as an outdoor finish. Because it is a long-oil varnish (a higher percentage of oil to resin), it also makes it more soft, flexible, and less water resistant, making it generally unsuitable for indoor or high moisture areas, too. I'm not sure there is a good application for this product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior clear finishes

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 2:48PM
Tiffany Altieri

My fault, I meant Marine Spar Varnish. Upon further reading, it does not contain urethane. It contains a phenolic resin instead. My husband has been doing some reading and is about ready to throw in the towel and just let the poly peel, then we'll deal with it. Seeing as nothing really works, he says we'll probably be doing the work at regular intervals anyway, and we can just skip the first one this way.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™