Replacement Windows

Elle1234October 13, 2012

I'm planning to replace 10 windows in my 1946 home MN home. I believe all of these windows are original to the house, as they are single pane, aluminum exterior and wood interior.

I'm looking to find a durable exterior construction of vinyl, aluminum or fiberglass. I'm trying to decide between a wood interior painted white, or a vinyl or fiberglass interior.

I have priced Marvin Ultimate Clad inserts, Marvin Integrity Fiberglass, Renewal by Anderson inerts, Simonton, and am considering Sunrise.

Not too certain about the vinyl interior, as it just doesn't look as good as the wood or fiberglass, in my opinion.

However...I also want something that holds up just as long as the windows original to this house, which is one reason I would look at vinyl. Should I consider another window choice - the Anderson 400 as it has a Vinyl exterior vs. the aluminum on the Marvin clad window?

Will a vinyl window always beat an aluminium clad or fiberglass window in the long run?

Is there any evidence to show the Renewal product can hold up for 20+ years?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

What do you like the look of and what will you be happy with?

If vinyl/vinyl is okay, you will not best a good vinyl windows performance with any of the other windows that you listed and certainly not anywhere near their price point.

If you were thinking non-vinyl family of products, I prefer fiberglass in that next position.

The Marvin Integrity is a very solid window and I would throw InLine into that comparison as well.

There is no advantage to the RBA window over fiberglass and wood clad is great but do not skimp on materials in this case. Marvin Ultimate is one of the best as it Kolbe & Kolbe and Loewen. Be prepared...these good wood units will come at a premium.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 9:18AM
mmarse1

The Sunrise is a solid window and the best performer of the bunch. the sunrise has a very narrow frame allowing for more glass but at the same time doesnt compromise structural integrity due to it having fiberglass sash reinforcement.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 9:18AM
Elle1234

Is there any Fiberglass window that fits better into an older home than Marvin Integrity? The Ultrex window seems to have a more 'modern' look that doesn't look as authentic with the existing woodwork.

Fiberglass seems to be less shiny to me vs. the Vinyl, so is a better fit in that way.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 8:07PM
mmarse1

i would look into InLine fiberglass windows

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 9:12PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

+1

The InLine has more "wood-like" construction and look than the Integrity as far as it pertains to that lift rail.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
pulley and weight window stuck open
I cannot get it closed even though I basically hang...
Cynna622
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Need help. Looking for window expert consultant in Minneapolis
We had our windows replaced (full replacement) and...
judyrk
Sponsored Products
Andalusia Outdoor Ottoman, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Wild West Cowboy and Horses 84-inch Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Lilith Marigold Tab Top, Top Stitched V Valance, 13x21
$15.95 | Bellacor
Natural Addison Embroidered Curtain Panel
$17.99 | zulily
Tayse Rugs Blinds & Shades Deco Ivory 5 ft. 3 in. Round Transitional Area Rug
Home Depot