mixing double/triple glazed windows

pegsieOctober 4, 2009

Oberon and the other window mavens - I hope you're out there!

What's the wisdom on having a mix of double- and triple-glazed windows? We're building in a particularly harsh environment - on the ocean in NH.

We're sold on the notion of using double glazing in the 3-season porch - no heat in there. And in the cellar; we have two awning windows there.

But . . .we're wondering about investing in triple glazing on the north and east sides and double on the west and south (where we are cheek-to-jowl up -- less than 20 feet -- against another house that blocks the wind).

We're going with Paradigm windows, a vinyl product made in Portland, ME, because of friends' recommendations. They were used in a LEED-certified home here. U-rating of the triple glazed windows, LowE with a blend of argon and krypton is .20. Their double-glazed are .28 (argon/LowE).

The rep and our designer argued about keeping the whole house at the same u-rating. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spup345

I had a similar question....I suspect that mixing is fine, but it may be a question of visible transmittance. For example, if the triple-panes are a lot darker to your eye than the double-panes, would that aesthetically be displeasing?

If you walk from one room to the next and the windows look darker in one vs. the other, would that be annoying?

As for keeping everything the same u-rating, I'm just a consumer, not a windows expert, but that doesn't logically make sense to me. I don't see any reason why you couldn't have varying U-ratings around the house if it comes down to a budget issue.

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 12:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Totally acceptable and basically undetectable if the windows are not side by side.

We have customers that blend usages all the time.

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
Privacy Glass?
I'm planning new windows for a master bath, and want...
numbersjunkie
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™