French door conversion kit

barrychanOctober 26, 2009

Hi guys,

I saw this on Larson's windows http://www.larsondoors.com/storm_doors/french_door_kit/ and was interested to see if the following would be possible.

I have two sliding patio doors that is north facing and would like to add storm doors to it during the winter. I looked around but no places in my area carries patio storm doors. So I was wonder if I can put two storm doors outside of the current sliders. My current sliding patio doors pics are located at http://picasaweb.google.com/bchen321

Thanks--Barry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
afsa

get them custom made for the size openings you require and i see no reason you cannot do that

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 10:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrychan

Thanks!

I had contacted the manufacturer of the door and they replied to me with the following.

"You will need some type of molding to attach the unit to. Storm Doors and Patio units require a 1 x 1 molding piece to attach to. You may want to install this first, then measure for correct opening size. Storm doors are ordered based on the opening size."

My current opening is 60"x80" and I do not have any molding on the outside. Now, how would I go about in putting in the 1 x 1 molding piece to the brick. I need some special screws or something? The opening is 2.5 inches deep and after adding the storm doors, I'm afraid it won't sit flush with the brick veneer in the front.

Thanks--Barry

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Time to replace the windows?
There has been almost constant ice build up around...
tonyzzztony
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™