ceiling fan wiring help, please

beth_flMay 5, 2011

someone hooked up a ceiling fan with lights for me, and did it wrong, because it didn't work properly. It turns on through a switch, that also turns an outlet on and off near the door. I took it down awhile ago, and did not label wires, as it was wrong. I am ready to hook up another fan/light, and need help on how to do it. I have 3 black wires, 3 white wires and 1 red wire coming from the ceiling. Should there be that many? Am I correct in thinking i need to connect and cap two of these seperately, as they don't have anything to do with the fan? It just seems like a lot of wires. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. It is starting to warm up, and I am trying not to use the a/c all day and night,

Beth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
normel

Are there two switches, one for the light and one for the fan?
You most likely have three cables entering the box: one set (b/w) is the hot feed in, one set (b/w) is the feed out to the receptacle, and the other set (b/r/w) is to the switch. You will need to determine if this is correct and identify each before proceeding. (Note: each cable should also include a bare or green grounding wire).

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 9:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

This situation is likely to require significant elecrical expertise. Randomly connecting wires can create a potentially hazardous situation.

You may need to conduct tests using a multimeter to determine which wires provide what function. If you don't have any experience in that area, I suggest you get a copy of Wiring Simplified from your public library (or buy it at a bookstore or Home Depot store). Study the introductory section on basic electrical circuits especially well. Then you'll be in better shape to tackle this problem.

If that seems like too much effort for one small fan installation (which would be understandable), then maybe it's time to call in a pro.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 2:32AM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™