Cord for outdoor post light, no plug??

cardwellaveMay 1, 2011

Hey all I have an outdoor post light and there is a cord that runs into the ground and then pops out next to the house, goes in a small hole and into the basement. I can find the cord in the basement and it simply is cut...no plug. the cord is quite narrow, maybe an eighth of an inch and round. About as big as one half of a typical cord on a lamp that looks like two lines put together. My question is how do I go about fixing this to run it somewhere to plug in? I want to see if it will work, I would really like the post light to work!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

It's a pretty safe bet that whatever you have existing doesn't meet code. There's a fair chance the plug is cut off because there's a short in the line. You'd need to use a cable approved for direct burial like UF-B.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 6:22AM
DavidR

It sounds like somebody hacked it up with inappropriate and unapproved wire, and the wire failed. I think I see some digging in your future.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 5:40PM
kudzu9

The only way that could not be a code violation -- and not be potentially dangerous -- is: 1) if the light is low voltage (12V), and the wiring is, too; or 2) that wire is part of the controller for a photocell and the power comes from elsewhere. Can you tell by inspection if that is a regular fixture or low voltage, or if you can see a photocell anywhere?

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 6:10PM
brickeyee

If you use rigid metal or intermediate conduit you only need to bury the conduit 6 inches deep.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Wireless light switch for switched outlet?
So we have no overhead lighting in any of our bedrooms,...
vikingshelmut
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
jenfarino
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™