So Cal Window Replacement

CAFixerUpperOctober 1, 2013

We need to replace 50 year old wood windows as well as a few vinyl that were improperly fitted and poorly installed. I have 3 bids from window contractors that are drastically different. Internet research on windows has me baffled, and Consumer Reports doesn't list any of them in their top ratings. Each contractor is offering different ones: Simonton, Anlin Monteverde, Plygem Pro Series. All single hung, dual pane.

Can anyone offer any advice? Also, the house is in east Co San Diego where it gets VERY hot. Is that an issue with these windows? Will they warp?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffpad

What series of the Simonton? Not a fan of the Ply-Gem. I do not know about the Anlin. Of the 3, Simonton could be your best option as quality goes, depending on what model is offered. In SoCal, get the low-e3 option. Vinyl will do you well in this climate.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 7:17PM
Fenestration_Taylor

Go with Simonton Daylight Max series, it comes with 366 low e glass (low e 3). If it's not that or Madeira series by Simonton it's from home depot and I wouldn't get it. Ply gem I haven't been impressed with the quality. Anlin I'm not familiar with even though they're made in California. I wouldn't worry about warping.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 7:40PM
CAFixerUpper

JeffPad - That installer tells me the Simonton is the Daylight Max product. Is that their best product? Plygem installer tells me they are a good product, and his install price is much lower, which of course concerns me. Thank you both for the info about the climate. There are existing vinyl windows there that seem to be ok.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 4:55PM
Fenestration_Taylor

Daylight Max is what you want, it has the upgraded glass and components. Some times with install you get what you pay for. See if either have previous jobs they've done to look at.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 5:58PM
jeffpad

most clients use the 7300 / DayLite max. Solid product in SoCal. Low-e3 / argon are standard. Ply-Gems are good for a rental maybe. As this is your home, keep with the Simonton IMO.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Installation of Steel Front Entry Door + Sidelites - 1 Man or 2?
Hello, everyone, I have posted here a few times about...
sahmmy_gw
Gigantic skylight needs replacing
A windstorm wisked away the living room skylight in...
coolbeansw
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
What size windows - 10' + Cathedral Ceiling
I like the look of the hearth room pictured below....
burbmomoftwo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™