number of outlets per circuit

buzzzApril 20, 2007

We are renovating our kitchen and adding undercounter and also over counter lights. The four overcounter lights will be on one switch and the four undercounter lights on a second switch but all on the same circuit from the panel. I read in my Electrical Wiring book that the max number of outlets per circuit is 12, do each of these count as one outlet for a total of 8? They are all 20 watt flourescent lights so they should not use many amps. Normally this would not be a problem but I am planning on tapping into an existing circuit that already has 8 outlets on it. So this would make it 16

What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

I see that you are in Canada.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 9:13AM
bigbird_1

Code says no more than 12 light outlets or 12 plug outlets or combination thereof per cc't. Each light counts as one outlet. I've seen many more than 12 devices/cc't. Is it OK? That's your decision. Is it safe? As long as you don't overload the cc't then it should be. Are you pulling a permit for this? If not, then I think you've answered your own question.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 9:28AM
joed

Each fixture counts as an outlet. Switches do not count. However since you have only lighting you are allowed more than 12. IF only lighting is on the circuit you are allowed to load the circuit to 80% of its max wattage rating. You must use the max wattage bulb allowed to be installed in the fixture to do this calc.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 9:05AM
buzzz

Thanks for all of your responses. Ya we are in Canada. Thanks Joed for the 80% rule. I will add up the max wattage for all of the light fixtures and see if I am ok to add the new ones in.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 9:21AM
normel

If they are fluorescent fixtures, you use the amp draw of the ballast, not the wattage of the bulb.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™