out building wiring

dst1158April 3, 2010

My barn is about 200' from my homes electrical entry panel. I want to run a line from the house to the barn large enough to operate a 230v air compressor which has a five horse motor that has an amp rating of 22a and a sfa rating of 25. I just moved here and at my old place I had three phase power to the garage so no issues there. The old fuse panel had two 30amp breakers working together to supply power for the compressor. What size wire would I need to make a run this long with the power requirements I'm looking for. Can anyone help?



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If the compressor is single phase you would need to run a #4 aluminum quad plex direct burial for the compressor alone. If you will have other things such as lights and receptacles, I would run a #2. What is a sfa rating?

    Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 10:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You would only need triplex for the compressor alone. The quadplex would be needed to supply other loads with the compressor.

    Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 11:01AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™