Okay to leave an old lamp plugged in?

alisandeApril 3, 2010

One of the lamps in my guest room is from the 1960s. We used it for years, but not recently. The two-prong plug looks a little old-fashioned, but fits snugly into the outlet.

I've read that some things shouldn't be left plugged in for safety reasons, but I'm not clear on exactly what things they mean. My guest room is used only rarely, but the lamp is handy to have if I go in there for various reasons. Does it seem as though it would be safe to leave it plugged in?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scottys

As long as the cord and plug are in good condition with no frays or cracking, then I see no reason to keep unplugging it. Besides, all of the unlugging/plugging actions will eventually cause it to no longer fit snugly as you described

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 9:35AM
Billl

"I've read that some things shouldn't be left plugged in for safety reasons, but I'm not clear on exactly what things they mean."

I guess it is a no-brainer to say that anything is safer if you unplug it. After all, if they aren't connected to a power source, there is no chance of them shorting, catching fire or any other hazard. Of course, that is akin to saying the safest way to drive is to not get in the car.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 9:20AM
globe199

Connect it to a cheap power strip if you're really concerned. Then you can just switch the strip on as needed.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
maggiepatty
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Testing a fluorescent bulb
I've got a light box that isn't lighting up when I...
kudzu9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™