Smoke Coming Out of New Floodlights

merdenaApril 20, 2010

Our electrician (who wired our new house - and is by far the most reputable in the area)installed new floodlights today along the eaves of our house. He installed doubles on each end of the house, and a single in the middle. They tested them earlier today, with no apparent problems. We turned them on tonight for about an hour, and went inside. We had company, and as they were leaving, we noticed smoke coming out of both of the double floodlights (but we didn't think smoke was coming out of the one in the middle). I immediately turned off the floodlights and the smoking stopped. I checked in the attic and there is no fire. Tried to call the electrician, but his phone is turned off (it was about 9:00 p.m.). There is no more smoke. When we first turned the lights off they were hot around the outside. They are now cool (about an hour later). Of course, I won't turn the lights back on, and of course, I'll be calling the electrician first thing in the morning. But what could have caused it? And should I call the fire department tonight to have it checked out even though there's no more smoke?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Was frost or dew on the lamps?

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 8:12AM
pharkus

I'm going with:

1- moisture. the "smoke" you saw was steam.
2- dust. the floodlights sat on a shelf for a while, and had dust on them. the heat from the lamps is causing the dust to burn off.
3- cheap paint on the lampholders.

Neither of the 3 is a huge issue.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 6:34PM
andrelaplume2

what ever happend?

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™