grout color help

debrak_2008October 24, 2010

We are using glass mosaic tile to frame a window in a staircase. The stairs lead from the kitchen to the master bedroom.

Here are photo for the style of the window frame the tile will be on.

This is the window that will be tiled.

This is the tile that is Amber colored. It seems to match the matural woodwork in other parts of the house. photos with and without a flash. Tile is dusty.

Photo of tile next to window, no lights or flash.

Tile next to possible wall color Sweet Annie green.

a href="http://s1047.photobucket.com/albums/b476/debrak_2008/stairway/?action=viewät=house020.jpg" target="_blank">

Now the question, should we match the grout to the tile or go lighter? I also would like thoughts on wall and carpet color. Please note tile is slightly dusty. Sorry one photo is turned, tried to fix it but didn't work.

We want tile to pop, in a good way.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wackyweeder

I say go lighter-up against the wall the tile will look darker and would be lost in a dark grout. The first pic with the flash-the color between the tiles in that would be my choice. But with grout everybody has an opinion LOL.

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 11:46PM
debrak_2008

OK I'm going lighter with the grout. Has anyone done or seen anything like this? I get the feeling everyone thinks this is crazy.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 7:07PM
texaswild

I don't think it's a crazy idea at all. The tile is beautiful. If you are going to be doing more mosaics, my suggestion is get a light grout and a dark grout and sprinkle the dry grout around your tiles to help you decide. Being a color freak and a mosaic-crazy person, I suggest you mix some other things in w/your tiles and make a traditional mosaic. Do some Google searching for mosaics for ideas. Backsplashes would be a place to start. As you may have noticed, I'm not a conservative person when it comes to color and mosaics, so I mix lots of things in a mosaic.

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 9:16AM
silvamae

Mixing an occasional flattened marble here and there (same color as the tiles) would be cool. I myself would go with a pale brown grout (sand-colored).

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 9:42AM
debrak_2008

Great idea to add a few things! I have some grout left over from a tile floor but it may be too light. Heard you can buy color to add to grout mix. Has anyone done that?

I've looked around this site and am in awe of the beautiful creations! Lots of ideas.

Thank you all for the support on this project.

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 4:03PM
debrak_2008

I just saw silvamae's hub page. The picture frame has orange with a little blue. We have cobalt blue vintage glass tile left over from the bathroom. DH now wants to add some of that to the window frame. I said no but then I saw the picture frame. If we add some of the blue glass will the color clash if I paint the walls green? Should there be other blue in the area?

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 7:34PM
debrak_2008

It's done! Will be posting photos soon under a new post.

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 9:24AM
texaswild

Yipppppppppppee - looking for it now.

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™