cement table project

KabarieOctober 22, 2011

Hi there, I'm new to Mosaics. We will be renting our home out in the new year and I wanted to fix up the property a little. This cement table and two benches are being left behind and I thought I would fix them up a little. I painted the legs and sides semi glossy white. Next I purchased some tile, very inexpensive, from the re-store and I will be putting it on. Have some mortor. Not sure if I need to do anything with the edges..Also not sure if leaving some of the big pieces unbroken is a good idea...any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwsZdFF

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wackyweeder

First off-for outside you need frost free tiles. If you use regular tiles the freeze thaw cycle will cause the glaze to crumble off. If you live in a warmer climate like florida you might be able to cheat that, some people have luck and some dont. There is no problem with leaving tiles whole, But I would be careful with the broken ones if my bottom were going on it, LOL nd make sure I tumbled them to soften the edges. I would also give that cement a good cleaning scrubbing well with a brush to ensure that no deposits are on it that would interfere with the adhesion of the mortar.

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 6:57PM
emtnest

Your table and bench look really nice. The suggestion that I would make is: put the tiles closer together, don't leave a lot of room where the grout goes, like where you have the broken ones. It will look very nice when completed. Be sure to post a pic..

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 2:56AM
texaswild

I like your layout, and w/the broken tiles to fill all the gaps, it'll look really pretty. I don't think you need do anything w/the edge - just smooth the grout around the edge when you apply it. Welcome to the forum.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 8:45AM
cathyscache

You just got info/input from 3 of the best..they said it all!! Welcome!! All I'm gonna add is have fun w/it!!

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 12:05PM
marquest

I learned after I did a outdoor project what could happen because I used indoor tile. I coated the entire project with Zinsser's Patent Shellac.

I do not know if that is a option or if it is a recommended thing to do, no cracked or flaking tiles at all. All I can say is it worked for me and it has been 5 years.

The other plus was the grout stayed a beautiful white.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™