power to outside building will not come on

volvo_85April 5, 2010

Hi all, I have a problem Husband was using trimmer on the yard and the cord he was using popped and turned black and stopped working. Later that night we noticed that the lights to the outside shed was not on. I have dusk to dawn lights on the outside. Checked breaker box and nothing was out of place. I went out to the building and everything was dead inside. I use the building as art studio so I have heat, refrig, etc out there. Have checked everything. Any suggestions. Thanks Volvo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

It's not uncommon for a breaker to trip without appearing to be tripped, especially a double pole breaker. Turn the breaker completely off and then back on.

You might also check for a tripped GFCI.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 10:20PM
groundrod

what Mike said.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 10:21PM
jemdandy

You may have tripped a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter). Check out your GFIs. It may be one in the house that is feeding the circuit to the shed. However, a better wiring practice would have a GFI in the shed for the shed circuits.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 4:50AM
volvo_85

Thanks for the reply everyone. I have tried everything you suggested including turning off and on each circuit and still no power. I was trying not to call an electrician because of cost but I guess I will need to. Thanks again Volvo

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 11:28AM
kudzu9

volvo-
Have you checked each receptacle in the shed to confirm whether or not it is a GFCI (which would have a test button on the face of the outlet)? In any case, it may be a good idea to have an electrician out. If you had a cord that turned black, it could be just the cord or the trimmer, or it could indicate a problem that needs investigation to prevent a fire hazard.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 12:32PM
volvo_85

Kudzu non of the recepticals in the shed are GFCI. I have one GFCI in the bathroom and 2 on the outside of house and non of those had tripped. Volvo

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 6:46PM
groundrod

What about a GFCI in a garage or laundry room, or another breaker panel outside or inside.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 8:52PM
weedmeister

That cord for the trimmer was plugged into something. Was that a GFCI outlet? Is that outlet still hot? Was it on the shed or on it's own circuit?

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:56AM
joed

It's a GFCI. You just need to find it. Most often it is found in the garage behind the pile of stuff that never moves.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 8:29AM
groundrod

Sorry to hear about your problem husband, but we are still interested in what the electrician found? Maybe that was just a Freudian slip on the husband deal.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Outdoor subpanel as AC disconnect
Can we use an outdoor subpanel as an AC disconnect?...
ylmzm
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
jenfarino
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Subpanel Question
I have a 100 amp panel being fed by #4 awg copper wire I...
Calo Renovations
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
eam44
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Designers Choice Collection Premia 52 in. Oil Brushed Bronz
Home Depot
Rubbed Silver Two-Light Bath Fixture w/ Etched White Glass
$53.90 | Bellacor
Safavieh Lyndhurst Tabriz Red/ Ivory Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
33" Infinite Stainless Steel Drop-In Sink
Signature Hardware
Hyper Links Giclee Glow Bronze Club Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Swivel Electric Plug In Heated Towel Rail 25 x 37 Brushed & Polished
Hudson Reed
Raku Floor Lamp
Lightology
Abba Cream Moroccan Tile Twin Pull Chain Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for: