Using random or found glass... Questions

concretenprimrosesOctober 31, 2011

Once I read a thread here where the woman said that her little daughter was bringing home glass that she found in parking lots to her mom for mosaic. I need glass for a GOG project but don't have anywshere near enough then I realized I have some nice blue bottles, and also "bottle green" ones that will work just fine. I broke them up and am tumbling the glass in the tumbler Calamity Jane gave me a few years ago. The blue almost disintegrated into tiny pieces, but fortunately I had a few pieces of blue and purple gallery glass to mix in from my scrap box.

Does any one break up bottles and use glass that they find lying around the town? Any advice?

What about the tiny tiny pieces and glass "dust" that is left over? Can I do any thing with that?

TIA

Kathy

PS I am almost done my mosaic plant stand. Hope to post a pic in about a week (ungrouted).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ernie85017, zn 9, phx

I have been using vases, etc, from the thrift. I learned quickly to check to make certain they are solid color glass, and not with a color coating, as it comes off during tumbling. I look down through the vase to the bottom. There you will see evidence of the coating being scratched, or whether it is solid color.
It turns out so nice after tumbling. I use an ice cream maker, as suggested by Slow.
I tossed the glass sand that was left over.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 2:45PM
concretenprimroses

I know what you mean , I got fooled by a red vase once! Never again. That said, I have occassionally bought flower shaped glass that I knew was coated, for plate flowers.
Kathy

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 3:25PM
nanatricia

I use wine bottles all the time have not had prob. with them disintegrating .I also use a ice cr. maker to do mine.do not leave in to long .

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 9:06PM
Calamity_J

I have used bottles/vases/cups/etc as anything is fair game!lol!

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 12:29AM
MosaicReflections

I have been thinking about using wine bottles, especially the ones that are blue.
How would you all suggest breaking/cutting a wine bottle?
Then do you tumble it in a tumbler? Never thought about an ice cream maker. Does it work like a tumbler?

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 11:09AM
nanatricia

Yes it is like a tumbler.I do not tumble all my glass .but every now and then I need to .Can't see buying a tum. so I use a ice cr ma.I have tumbled a lot of wine bottles I used it as mulch around my bottle tree it did not take long you just want to dull it a little.When I break them I put it in a paper bag and just hit it with a hammer.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 9:57PM
toomuchglass

I never did that . I usually have so much stained glass scraps --- I'm buried in it. I must have thrown out 25 pounds of glass scraps last year . Good stuff,too. I advertised it on Craig's list for $5.00 .No takers .
*sigh* Now I'm starting all over again .

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
Wonder Horse... getting started!
A couple weeks ago I introduced myself to you all and...
solstice98
Sponsored Products
Besa 1SR-5131VM-SN Vanilla Matte Canto Wall Light - 1SW-5131VM-SN-SQ
$180.00 | Hayneedle
Obi Table Lamp by AXO Light
$2,057.40 | Lumens
Serena & Lily Braided Abaca Rug
Serena & Lily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Textured Waves Beige 3 ft.
Home Depot
Olde Brick Outdoor Wall 1-Light
PLFixtures
Iconic Blonde Noir Print
$21.99 | zulily
Labradorite Cabinet Pull
Signature Hardware
Athenian Leaf Parker Light Blaster Bronze Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™