Looking for advice on Solid Color Stains

compumomAugust 29, 2010

Please share any experience with this type of product-- positive or negative. We're rebuilding our patio covering and the contractor mentioned that we might want to use SCS instead of white paint.This is a product which we are completely unfamiliar with. The patio covering will be fully exposed outdoors with crossed member timbers forming the "roof". We're located in Southern California and due to environmental laws we're unable to use oil based paints that are more durable. Any other suggestions for a lasting painted finish are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: A similar type of Pergola

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Someone is giving you bad information if they told you oil based paints are illegal in So. Calif. For exterior application you can purchase oil based paint or water based paints, also, oil based stain or water based stain, translucent stain or opaque stain. A call to any of the paint producers like ICI, Benjamin Moore, Fine Paints of Europe or any of the other major brands will verify this.

    Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 5:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I maybe misinformed as to the formulation restrictions, but the formulations have definitely changed--all the painters/contractors/designers have told me that. The trim on our house used to last 8-10 years, now after two it has cracks. And that was done in summer 2006 (touched up in late 2008) with Dunn Edwards paint. Also this was the painter who did the best prep work we've ever had! Our designer said that she has a customer who leaves the state to buy his paint just to get the more durable formulation.

Please tell me what to ask for. I've used BMoore paint for interior spaces, but agreed to go with Dunn Edwards for the exterior. Later on today I'll look at the cans and let you know what type of paint was used. I'd be grateful for more insight and direction!

    Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 2:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There is a seminew formula that is a cross between an oil base and water base paint. If material cost is not an issue, then you can purchase this type of paint from ICI or Fine Paints of Europe. I buy mine from ICI because it's too far to drive to get FPE. In any case, use the undercoat recommended on the can. If you think there are different formulas in different states, call the manufacturer, ask for the chemist, and he will tell you. FPE is a good one to call on this. He will talk your ear off. Call him for sure. Their phone number is 800-332-1556. Let us know what you find out.

    Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 3:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Update-- The contractor was here today and said after careful consideration he recommended we use paint and not stain. I will definitely follow up on your suggestions tomorrow! THANK YOU!!

    Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 2:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I suggest you purchase the paint, not the contractor. If you call FPE they will tell you all you need to know. I use ICI because it is closer but FPE will give you the best information and may be the best paint you can buy.

    Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 3:02AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™