Mistakenly cut Zinsser Seal Coat with lacquer thinner

forager1945August 8, 2009

I mistakenly (stupidly?) cut Zinsser Seal Coat with lacquer thinner instead of denatured alcohol, and applied it to a newly-stripped-and-sanded solid wood credenza. I realized my mistake before applying the light sanding that follows a Seal Coat application. (Seal Coat is a 2-lb. de-waxed shellac, which I attempted to change to 1-lb. cut, using a 50-50 mixture.)

Does anyone know how the lacquer thinner affects the process? Or what I can do to resolve the problem, assuming there is a problem? Can I sand it down and apply another coat of the appropriate mixture?

I'm new to woodworking and finishing, learning the hard way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Did the shellac set up to a hard coating?

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 9:46AM
bobismyuncle

Lacquer thinner is not a homogeneous product -- it is a mix based on properties desired (and economic variables). So it it is hard to say. Some companies produce a "padding lacquer" that is shellac resin in some variant of lacquer thinner. Seal Coat itself has some different solvents in it in an attempt to increase the shelf life, which is why they say it has a 3 year shelf life instead of the usual 6-12 months of shellac flakes dissolved in denatured alcohol.

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 9:41PM
forager1945

Thanks to everyone for their replies. The piece is sanding well--no gummy residue, etc.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™