code question (counting handles)

ionized_gwApril 7, 2010

I have an electric code question. I understand that until 1968, 6 handle throws were allowed to turn off power to a residence. I have seen several split bus panels that are built to take advantage of all those 6 throws.

Some of you have seen the pictures of my three-ph residential service. I have two main panels. One is a split bus panel with 6 mains. The other is a very conventional three-phase panel (single main). They are connected to the meter in a big splice box. My question is, could anything installed in the time of circuit breaker panels have ever met electrical code?

It seems to me that it would have met code requirements if 6 or fewer actual throws were allowed that it would have until 1968. That is because not all of the mains in the split-bus panel are in use. If the POTENTIAL number of throws, assuming that all main breakers can be used are counted, the total is 7 since there is a second panel.

How were they counted?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
groundrod

They are counted pretty much like they always have been. this excerpt from current 2008 NEC;

The disconnecting means for each supply permitted by 225.30 shall consist of not more than six switches or six circuit breakers mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard.

Hope that helped.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 4:23PM
pharkus

I doubt it did.

If I understand the question correctly, he wants to know if the extra spaces count (since somebody could conceivably add breakers to them later).

I believe they DO NOT count, but I'm not an expert, so I haven't answered this myself.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 6:23PM
brickeyee

Blanks would not count, it would be up to whomever added another breaker to deal with the 6-throw rule.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 7:28PM
ionized_gw

Thanks, guys. I am sorry for the delay. My father-in-law is in town and we all got busy for the weekend. pharkus interpreted my question correctly and put it much more succinctly. Brickeyee seems to be very sure. It looks like this would have been O.K., in this respect, when installed.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Humming Transformer
Last summer the POCO replaced the transformer on the...
mike_kaiser_gw
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
Disposer Power Cord
I recently bought a GE disposal online. The model is...
africanboy
Testing a fluorescent bulb
I've got a light box that isn't lighting up when I...
kudzu9
1 of 2 security light bulbs keep going out, do i need a new light?
I have a security light fixture in my carport that...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Pewter Whitehaus 614.858SH Wall Mounted Blairhaus Bath Shower Head & Valve
$359.00 | Blue Bath
Cristel Casteline Stainless Steel Saute Pan with Removable Handle
$299.95 | FRONTGATE
Yellow & Blue Small Tote Storage Bin
$7.99 | zulily
Rustic Candle Lantern
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Foil Undertone Blue Glass Ensemble BN/Hrdwr
PLFixtures
Grandport 5 Drawer Jewelry Armoire
Overstock.com
MyOwnersBox Storage & Organizers College STACKITS University of Missouri 12 in.
$19.99 | Home Depot
Furniture of America Benton 2 Drawer Nightstand Multicolor - IDF-7068N
$191.96 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™