What oil to use for large outdoor tiki?

bari_saxAugust 5, 2010

We had a large (6') tiki carved for us out of an American Elm that we had to remove. See pictures linked below. I'd like to protect the wood from splitting and water (I've already coated the base with copper naphthenate).

Any suggestions for the right oil to use? Tung / teak / Danish / rosewood / etc? Or something else entirely? This sculpture will be outside year round in the SF Bay Area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiki Pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

All of these [pick your name] oils are whatever the manufacturer decided to make them from. The same or similarly named product from two different manufacturers, or even two divisions of the same company can be quite different. Likewise, teak, Danish, antique, rosewood, and tung oil finishes from the same company can be either identical or varying only in small proportions of the main ingredients -- thinner, oil, varnish.

As far as I know, most of them are either thinned varnish or thinned varnish + linseed oil. In either case, they are usually meant for an in-the-wood (non film-forming) interior finish.

The ability to inhibit moisture is proportional to the thickness of the applied finish. But I don't think you want a thick finish on this piece.

Oil, by itself, is not an effective moisture barrier. Some oils are even hygroscopic (attracting moisture). Some promote microbe growth.

The other thing is that most clear finishes break down with UV exposure.

One option is to just leave it to age.

Another option is a 100% solids UV-cured resin such as at the link below. I put it on my granddaughter's swing set 4 years ago after the factory finish degraded after the first year. It has been holding up well.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Time

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™