Unfinished Fiberglass door through winter?

vdinliOctober 24, 2010

I am wondering if its ok to leave a fiberglass door unfinished through winter if it has a storm door in front? I live on Long Island, NY and am worried that the fiberglass will crack/warp before we have a chance to finish it. Therma Tru says to finish only when temp are between 50-90 and it will be mid-april to may before we get to 55 at night. We would like to have the doors installed before the tax credit expires at the end of the yr.

So what would you recommend-put on a bad finish now or leave the door unfinished till later?

Thanks for your opinions.

Vinaya

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housefairy

Before you have the door installed have it pre-painted in the shop. Or before you install, finish it in possibly your basement or a heated garage. Leave your old door in place until the paint has completely dried on the new door.

If you don't paint it won't it void your warranty?

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 10:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vdinli

For fiberglass, the warranty is valid if painted within six months of installation. I asked our installer if he could install a prefinished door and he wasn't very keen on it saying the finish would get spoilt during installation and he might have to cut the door to size etc. Maybe he just wanted to avoid the hassle of protecting the finish.
I think it might be better to wait till spring to do this replacement and see if we can qualify for the credit with other projects.
Thanks
Vinaya

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
Pella Slider
We have a Pella slider that was installed in early...
hopesprings_gw
Any thoughts on the new Beechworth windows by James Hardie
Hi, We are waiting for our building permit and are...
kzim_gw
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™