Did I get taken?

klavierJuly 23, 2009

Hello,

I just bought a router with a table from a guy on Craig's list. It cost me $40 for the two together. I couldn't get a very good look at it until I got home because the lighting at the guys place was low. When I took it apart I found the collet to be split. I wouldn't even know where to find a replacement collet for such an old router. I will say the motor is incredibly strong and the thing weighs a ton. The router is a Dayton Tradesman Model 2Z898, and the table is a Hirsh, the table is crap I will admit. I would like specifically to use half inch shank bits because I am planning to make some rather large mortise and tenon joints and can use the extra stability and bite.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

So the table is crap and the router is broken. Yeah, I'd say that was a bad deal. I doubt it will be worth fixing, and I wouldn't take the safety risk of using it.

FWIW, you can get a much newer second-tier brand (i.e. Craftsman) router on eBay for about what you paid, even after shipping costs.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 7:34AM
tom999

Isn't Dayton brand WW Grangers brand? May want to contac them about a replacement collet.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 12:44AM
mike_kaiser_gw

Dayton is Grainger's house brand although I suspect they haven't made a router in quite few years. The repair parts phone number is 800-323-0620.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™