Water-based clear stain not shiny enough!!!!

atragonJuly 22, 2009

I sanded my waterbed down to natural wood. I used two coats a water-based clear semigloss to give it a stained look. Then I used two coats of clear gloss and thought I was getting a nice glossy finish....but not so.

What can I use now to get a high glossy finish. I need to get this project done before the weekend....(the last honey-do for this week!!!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

An "off the gun" (or "off the brush") finish will only be so glossy. Gloss is largely a measure of the micro-texture of the surface. To get a really see-your-nosehair high gloss, it requires rubbing out. What you are doing is creating a finer and finer scratch pattern until you start to get to physics and wavelength of light.

Start with whatever grit will smooth the surface without making more work. I use steel wool, lubed or not, wet-and-dry sandpaper, rubbing compounds, Abralon pads up to 4000, high gloss rubbing compound, Imperial hand glaze and Penthouse Polish. Start where you need to and stop when you are happy.

Be aware though that most finishes, waterborne included, need about 3 weeks to fully cure. The longer you can wait before rubbing, the better.

Rubbing finishes

About Sheen

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™