New painted cabinets weird outgassing weeks later

Jess2468July 31, 2014

This is my first post to this forum! I have been through a remodel and had built in cabinets made for family room. The cabinets look and fit great. They are made out of maple with pre-made doors. The cabinet maker had them finished locally in a white glossy paint. Now, about 8 weeks later, they are still outgassing. I have kept the cabinet doors open, doors to the room/house open, fans on and away from the cabinets. They still smell. I was told that a conversion varnish was used. No one has managed to tell me further specifics. I do know that when the cabinets were installed, I smelled what I thought was burning wood. For some reason, I thought this was part of the installation (dumb). But this burning wood smell has continued as the basic outgassing smell. It does NOT smell like the walls of my house did, or the floors all of which were finished in Low VOC water based paint. I know what paint finishes smell like. These cabinets smell different. I'm on the verge of having them taken out. I might have to have them remade. Ideally, they could be re-finished/re-painted. I'm wondering what this weird smell could indicate. Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klem1

I could only guess what is causing the odor but I don't believe you should have to remedy the problem. Just tell who ever took your money to fix it or else you intend to raise a stink of your own until your money is returned.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Can I thin General Finishes oil-based Gel Stain?
My oak doors are finished in honey oak with polyurethane....
bisondaktelcom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™