Vinyl Siding Depth

stuckInMNOctober 11, 2013

Hi all....hoping for some input on a siding question. I am replacing the aluminum siding on my home with insulated vinyl (Certainteed Cedarboards - Clapboard) and I need to decide on a size. D4" is what I got an estimate for....but I was wondering if D6" would look nicer.

Does it depend on the size of your home? How do you choose the best looking size? I've been driving around checking other homes. Most in my neighborhood are 3" or 4".

Google is not my friend right now...I can't find anything that gives you a general idea on what to pick. Does it depend on the height/width of your home?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmarse1

6 inch is most realistic or the 7". When is the last time you saw wood siding that was only 3 or 4 inches wide, i prefer Crane " solid core" siding over certainteed by a mile.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 1:37PM
toddinmn

3 and 4" exposure is the norm for late 19th century to early 20th century homes in my area.the 50'slate 70's is when the wider stuff came into fashion. Most vinyl siding is done in 4" and cement board at 7". The last time I have seen siding that had 3 and 4 " exposure was today,pretty much every day before and I expect to see it tomorrow. It'll come down to cost and preferable preference. You do want to get a nice product when going that wide.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 2:57PM
HomeSealed

LOL, nice Todd.
I'd actually agree, but perhaps it is a regional thing.
@stuck, it depends on your personal preference and the style of your home. 4" got very popular with vinyl because hollow core vinyl will have more tendency to wave and buckle as the reveal gets taller. The insulated siding takes care of that, enter the 6 and 7" choices. The 6" choice is most popular around here, as most folks like to mimic the look of traditional cedar siding.
On product, I have not used the certainteed, but I've used Crane, Alside/Revere, and Variform all with good results.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 4:45PM
mmarse1

I do like the charter oak by alside with full back. Its a nice panel.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 5:40PM
PRO
Windows on Washington

+1

Alside's Charter Oak and Prodigy are our two most popular panels by large margin.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 7:38AM
More Discussions
Good quality French door style slider with blinds between the glass?
I'm in Texas. These would be replacement doors for...
texasgal47
What size windows - 12' Great Room Ceiling
I found this great room picture, and am looking to...
burbmomoftwo
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Starmark/OKNA Replacement Windows vs. Anderson?
We met with a salesman yesterday who quoted us a price...
snaupal
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Lrw2a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™