Some Suggestions on Equipment

rockford_robbieOctober 29, 2010

I've been away from the stained glass craft for almost twenty years and I've decided to start up again. I've got a small Glastar grinder that I remember it would get bogged down quite easily when grinding an edge. I'm thinking it needs replacement since I can no longer remove the wheel from the shaft. Now I see a couple grinders made by Gryphon, one, (the Twister) has a base that can be twisted to work at an angle and a jet of water is fed directly onto the wheel. The other, (Studio) has a 1/5HP motor which is significantly more powerful than the competition and it uses a gravity type cooling system. Both of these grinders seem to have some good features. However, I'm reading a lot of negative feedback about the Gryphon grinders. Does anyone have any experience with these models that could collaborate these negative reports? A local retailer also mentioned the Gryphon units had problems and he was trying to push the Glastar AllStar at $235. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohtobedone

I have used only an Inland grinder for 20 years. I have had no problems with the units. Be careful when a shop pushes a certain unit. Sometimes they are just trying to get rid of inventory. I learn a lesson on that when I bought my first saw.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 5:36AM
kraftkrazy

i have a gryphon studio and have had no problems..i am thinking about buying the little gryphette to take to class,, on another note,, gryphon has wonderful customer service,,so if you have a problem they take care of it. at least that has been my experience with the company, i had problem with a glasscutter (which i love love love) and they replaced it immediately

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 12:29PM
wackyweeder

Have a friend who has a gryphette and likes it a lot. I have also read from some stained glass people-who grind a lot-that they have had Inlands that have lasted for 17 + years-and I have heard that more than one place. I have never heard any negatives about the gryphons.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
please help!!!!
hi! im trying to get into working with glass and i...
fpc3
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™