Had to remove part of my subfloor, now I have NO idea what to do

amateurplumberJuly 25, 2014

Hey all...I am remodeling my shower and have run into a problem. The subfloor was rotted so I removed it and am adding a new subfloor. I bought the plywood, and planned to put a nailing edge on the left and right sides where the old plywood sticks out slightly to put the new plywood on.

HOWEVER, I am worried about the left and right walls. Since I've cut the plywood, I am worried that they dont have enough support. Underneath them is just an empty space; the joists to the left and right side of the left and right walls, respectively, are a few inches away. How can I support the walls better? Here is an image of what I'm talking about (I know the idiots cut the joist to fit the drain; I plan on sistering it): https://i.imgur.com/yXxcZZf.jpg

Thanks SO much!

This post was edited by amateurplumber on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 21:35

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Those walls are not load bearing - they only have to hold themselves up.

If you want to feel secure, and especially if you are tiling and need a rigid floor, add some blocking across from joist to joist, using nail-on hangars where you can't get to the ends of the blocking. then put the subfloor back.

http://www.diydeckplans.com/sites/default/files/image/building-guide/blocking/blocking-2.jpg

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

amateurplumber, it is also common courtesy to advise people that you have cross posted this same question in a bunch of subforums.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™