Does Purple Heart stay purple?

pbrisjarJuly 16, 2008

Purple is my favorite color (with pink a close second). I saw some Purple Heart wood the other day and fell in absolute love. Now I'm scheming on how I can get some in my home. Just wondering, does it stay the vibrant beautiful purple that I saw or does it change over time? If so, how?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
green-zeus

A friend has a piece of it and,yes, it does stay purple. But it might get washed out if exposed to sun every day, so you might want to avoid using it in any application where it gets direct sun every day.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 8:27AM
HandyMac

I have been using PH as an accent wood for years. When cut/sanded, it turns brown. To regain the purple color, simply expose the wood to sunlight. But, if the piece has several different sides, you must expose all the sides to the sun equally. If a section gets shaded, there will be two different shades of purple.

I have made several picture frames with PH or having PH as an accent wood. I use water based poly as a finish to allow the purple color to remain natural(oil based finishes impart an amber tone that does not look good with PH) Over time---several years, the color fades a bit---but exposing equally to the sun for an hour or so brings the color back.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 10:05AM
skanman14

theres a line of ployurethanes minwax has called "polycryllic" polycrillic is the only urethane i know of that does not amber over time. almost all urethanes amber, including water based ones. just thought id mention it

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™