Extending table surface area

oldalgebraJuly 8, 2007

We have recently be given a series of box tickets to the Hollywood Bowl. I love the prior-to-show picnic. On opppsite sides of the box, there are 2 foot by 2 foot pop-up tables on which to serve and eat food for four people. When in use, these tables have about an 11 inch gap separating them. It would be useful to place a single thin board stretching across both tables and bridging the gap, so that one could place serving pieces on the table, instead of at our feet. The problem is, one cannot be lugging in a 58 by 24 inch piece of plywood, along with dinner for four, into the Bowl.

I have imagined using a two 27 inch by 24 inch pices of playwood, joined together by a piano hinge. I see two problems with this. It would be weighty. In addition, the piano hinge would have to be on top of the table and would not allow bowls of bottles to be set down in the area.

Can anyone think of a lighter material to use, and can anyone think of a more useful design? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

A 15" x 24" piece of 1/4" masonite would fill the gap with 2" to overlap each table. Mount a couple of 11" 1x2s on the underside, with an end of each abutting each of the two tables, to add rigidity and to keep the insert from shifting. This will give you two 1/4" ridges to avoid but will be compact and light weight.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 1:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldalgebra

Brillant! Thanks so much.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™