I need some help on Light circuit outage.

goofyynoApril 12, 2012

Hi,

I live in a ten year old house with a courtyard in the middle. all of a sudden, the 4 outdoor lights stopped working last week. I did the following without help: re-set the GFI, checked the circuit breaker, and replaced the bulbs. I use a multimeter on all four light sockets- no juice. I also did it on all four wall switches- all were fine. there is an outlet on the same gfi circuit, which is working fine.

is there something else I should do, or is it time to call in the calvary?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

If you have power to part of the circuit, then that rules out the breaker and I'd suspect you have a loose connection somewhere. After that it is a box by box check until you find the problem. Did you check for power from hot to neutral or hot to ground (or both). A lack of power from hot to neutral but power from hot to ground would indicate a problem with the neutral line. A lack of power checked both hot to neutral and hot to ground would indicate a problem with the hot line.

"Back stab" receptacles are frequent culprits. Replace or rewire any you might find.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 7:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goofyyno

Thanks mike,
I did not check both, so I was going to do that this evening, when low and behold, they worked. Maybe there was a loose wire in one of the switches which I tightened up?

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
Confused & need help please
I know just about zero when it comes to electricity....
bicyclegirl1
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
2 Lights Out on 4 Light Fixture
I was sitting at my dining room table, heard a tiny...
Cassandra
Inspection Report
Had a gorgeous 1909 house inspected yesterday and don't...
cmae17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™