Has anyone made their own decorative frieze?

caribbeancupcakeJuly 14, 2007

Hi,

I am making my own decorative frieze with acanthus wood ornamental appliques from Constantines. I plan to glue each applique to a smooth piece of 1 x 6. My runs are twenty-one feet in length. I will buy the crown molding for above from a Florida supplier. Is glueing the appliques to the 1 x 6 enough? I really don't want to use brads or staples if I can avoid it. I have looked for months and this is the most cost effective way I can do this. If I purchased what I wanted I couldn't afford it.

All advice appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmealy

It can be done, but if you are staining and putting on a clear finish, you need to be really careful with the glue. Any glue that smudges out will make a light spot in the stain.

I put a bunch of these on some large (5'x7') picture frames and was thankful to have a 23 gauge micro-pinner to hold them in place and assist with the gluing. It would also provide some insurance in case the wood expands and contracts different amounts between the base and the appliqué. They make such a small hole that it would not be noticeable in most applications.

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 10:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The appliqués will either crack or come loose as the 1x6 changes width with humidty unless.
Even quarter sawn is not likely to math the applied trim.
Plywood or MDF would be better as a base.

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Best Finish over Oil Based Stain
I stained my table with Early American by Minwax, both...
logies101
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™