Need help with tempered glass code for replacement windows

lil_teeOctober 1, 2011

Greetings!

I'm in the process of getting estimates for replacement windows (in Georgia) and I'm getting some differing opinions on whether or not some windows need to have tempered glass. I found the 2006 IRC Code -Selected Tempered Glass Requirements but need a little help interpreting some of it.

1. a 24"x48" window at the top of the stairs, 32" from the floor, on the same wall the stairs are on

#10 in the code says "Glazing adjacent to stairways, landing and ramps within 36" horizontally of a walking surface when the exposed surface of the glass is less than 60" above the plane of the adjacent walking surface."

Based on that, I think it needs to have tempered glass...is that correct? temper just the bottom sash or both sashes?

1. 36"x72" windows, about 8" from the floor, in the living room and kitchen

#7 in the code says "...that meets ALL of the following: 7.1. Exposed area of an individual pane is greater than 9 square feet. 7.2. Bottom edge is less than 18" above the floor. 7.3. Top edge greater than 36" above the floor. 7.4. One or more walking surfaces within 36" horizontally of the glazing."

I get the less than 18 and more than 36 items, but I'm not 100% clear on the other two. Is the 9 square feet for the entire window or each sash? Walking surfaces...is that interior such as the floors in the rooms, or exterior like sidewalks?

1. For the two items above, is there such a thing as being grandfathered in because this isn't a new construction?

I don't have kids or pets (or wild parties) :-) so I'm not too worried about anything happening, but I do want to do this correct and to code.

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

1. Check the meeting rail height on the stairwell window and if it above 60", not required for temp. Bottom sash is a yes.

2. 9 ft2 requirement is for the bottom sash. Each sash is treated as its own "window"

As long as you are okay with code minimums, I would say you are covered.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 12:24PM
lil_tee

Thank you very much, windowsonwashington!

The meeting rail height in the stairwell window is less than 60" so I'll have both sashes tempered.

Now that I know each sash is considered to be its own window, mine definitely have less than 9 feet of exposed area. I'm getting prices for both tempered and not tempered, but was getting conflicting information so I wanted to know what was required versus optional.

Thanks again for the information!

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 9:05PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Good luck.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 12:15AM
lil_tee

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be back with a new post about the window options once all the quotes are in. :-)

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Pros please help differentiate between two window manufacturers...
Hello, we are the midst of a new construction build...
rebph
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Sponsored Products
Godinger Hanover Copper Gallery Tray - 96671
$33.50 | Hayneedle
Kingston Brass KU23189BN Single Basin Undermount Kitchen Sink - KU23189BN
$191.72 | Hayneedle
Sloan Oval Back Yellow Accent Chair
Overstock.com
Charlise Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - GOLD
$169.00 | Horchow
Hartz 15 oz. Groomers Best Hairball Control Cat Shampoo - 0864-0096
$23.99 | Hayneedle