Help with Rocking Chair

mcdaveJuly 24, 2008

I have a good quality wood rocking chair and the spindles on one arm have loosened. Not so loose that I can completely remove it to glue it. It is assembled using a wedge driven into the underside of the post, underneath the seat. Any ideas on how I can tighten this joint would be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Rockler( and other woodworking supply companies---WoodCraft, for instance) sells a glue syringe---to inject glue in very small places---ideal for your situation.

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 5:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Better than that is "Chair Doctor" glue. Woodcraft and Lee Valley both carry it. It's very thin and wicks into the joint, swells it up and glues it down. It is _not_ the same thing as Chair Loc. I use it whenever I can't get into a joint easily (for example some yahoo has filled it full of nails or staples.)

If that fails, I drill out the wedge, remove the spindle/arm, clean up the joint, reglue it, and put in a new wedge. This is much easier (and more common) for wedges on the bottom than on the top (for example holding legs on a Windsor chair with through tenons).

Here is a link that might be useful: chair doctor glue

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™