Patio door install questions

alexh1000October 15, 2010

Hi,

Added this to my original thread but no one saw it...

I'd like to replace a slider with a patio door and I may have it done but I'd like to clear up some questions -

My current slider is installed w/o using a nailing fin and there is a stucco bumpout. Based on what you see in the picture, would you specify a replacement unit the same size (96"Hx72"W)?

Some stucco damage is inevitable and that's fine but if I have to rip off the bumpout and/or lots of stucco I may rethink this. I assume when a unit is specified as 96"x72" this is the outside dimensions of the unit. I don't really know what my rough opening size is but I'll pull off the casing to verify at least 1/2" framing clearance all around.

The "jamb" on the current unit is proud of the drywall about 1/2" and the casing trim butts against it. Obviously this is not standard for interior doors/windows. I suppose you can specify the jamb to be whatever width you want so if the jamb is flush with the drywall a standard casing placement (3/16" jamb reveal) could be used?

As you can see from the pic below the bottom track is much narrower than the jamb. A french door will have a threshold more like a standard door. Would you expect that the tile would have to be cut to allow for a wider threshold (subfloor is slab)?

None of the websites give much detail on the threshold so I'll have to see one in person to verify.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Cut a relief kirf in the stucco with a right angle grinder/diamond wheel. That will minimize the cracking around the edges and give you a nice clean finished line.

Set the new unit in place.

Spray foam the perimeter.

Caulk right to stucco if the kirf was cut close or install Azek filler strip/stop and caulk to that.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 1:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaib

I just looked at my Pella patio door (currently in the garage awaiting install.

Yes, it appears you'll want to cut the tile; I'd hold off till the door arrives. You'll want to insure the heigth of your R.O. will be correct and think about the heigth of the tile as it butts up to the threshold - I will be installing the door on top of 1/2" Durarock to insure a clean tile/threshold mate.

Yes; you can order jambs in virtually any reasonable width to accomodate a clean casing job inside.

Pay atention to the install and flashing and enjoy your new door.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Time to replace the windows?
There has been almost constant ice build up around...
tonyzzztony
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™