Installing Egress Window

spafrica2003October 15, 2010

I need to cut a 4'x4' hole in my foundation to insert an egress window. The top of the current, small window is at the top of the foundation so that will be the top of the new window also. My house is a brick house. I have been told that a metal plate of some sort needs to be installed across the top of the new window opening to provide support to the bricks above. Can anyone tell me how to do that? Alternatively, does installing a pressure-treated wood box frame function the same way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

What you are referring to is a lentil beam of some sort to carry the load of the wall and home above.

If there is a window their currently and you do not enlarge the width, you will use what is existing and not have to change the lentil.

In most egress retrofits, if you are tearing out a basement 2-Lite slider or hopper, you can easily put a casement of the same width in that opening and elongate the window opening downward to get the proper total square footage.

Most applications require that you need to move the hole down to get the ledge of the window within 44" from the floor.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 1:16PM
spafrica2003

Due to the cost of the casement windows vs the 4'x4' sliding windows, I was planning on increasing the width of the opening. The current windows are very small. By increasing the height of the window to 4', it will bring the bottom of the window to within 44" of the floor. How can I install a new lentil beam?

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 2:01PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

What is the width of the current window?

The offset in cost between the material cost of a slider and a casement will easily be absorbed by the added labor or putting in a new lentil.

This does not account for the added expense of labor if you disturb and damage any brick.

Also, I think it is worth noting that depending on the type of 2-Lite slider that you go with, the 48" rough opening will probably not give you the net clear 20" code requires.

You will loose some of the width opening to frame material on either side of the actual window and no 2-Lite slider opens 100%.

To be safe, you should consider a 2-Lite slider that is closer to 54" wide.

Now you have a pretty large 2-Lite slider requirement who's height will also be dictated by code.

Typically Casement windows are about $50 more expensive per unit than a comparably sized 2-Lite.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Remove window film immediately?
My contractor has been installing my new Anderson Woodwright...
keys
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Pros please help differentiate between two window manufacturers...
Hello, we are the midst of a new construction build...
rebph
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Sponsored Products
Hughes Chair - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Ellis Astonish Mocha Grommet Top Lined Panel - 50 x 84 in. - 730462752963
$61.99 | Hayneedle
Bath Authority DreamLine Aqua Lux Clear Glass Tub Door
Modern Bathroom
Nature Fabric Vertical. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
Velvet Pillow with Tape Detail 13" x 20" - SKY BLUE (BOUDOIR)
$245.00 | Horchow
Glass Brush
$7.49 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™