Dog drool on window sills

hopesprings_gwJuly 21, 2008

We have lots of windows that are low enough for our chocolate lab to stand and look out. We have lots of bunnies, squirrels, etc., that make him drool as he watches them. I'm finding his 'water spots' hard to remove. I sanded and varnished some of the more tired sills with UV spar varnish (we also get lots of sun), and they looked okay for a few days, but the dog drool is still making marks that are hard to rub out. Is dog drool enough to eat into the varnish?? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skanman14

hmm...well, helmsman, if that is indeed the spar urethane you used, is as you said a very hardy coatin when it comes to uv protection, it is also flexible enough to expand and contract with the weather which makes it good for out door use( not on decks mind you). it is because of this flexibility however that is making it susceptible to fidos slobber, i would advise using a stronger more rigid urethane such as minwax's fast drying polyurethane which should hold off the drool better

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hopesprings_gw

Ah, hadn't thought of it that way. We get tons of sun, so UV was my first priority, as the sills were bleached out when we bought the house. Thanks!

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™