Re-finish Oak question?

splaisJuly 29, 2009

I have an oak coffee table I want to refinish in a darker cherry color. Right now it looks like it was stain neutral or light oak and then varnished/PU'd. I need help what is the best way to prep this thing - two questions, or one long depending on how you read it.

Would it be best to just sand the surface before staining, or should I us a liquid stripper? If I use a stripper I'm worried about cleaning it up (i.e., using water) without raising the grain of the wood. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Use a stripper, sanding is not an effective way. Sanding will not necessarily remove all the finish and you can end up with uneven staining. Also, if the top is veneer, it is very easy to sand through to the substrate. And finally, you will gum up a lot of sandpaper and expend a lot of time and effort.

You can find strippers in liquid or "semi-paste" (gel). Not all strippers rinse with water. Read the label to see what they recommend.

Also be aware that if it is a factory finish, there is almost no chance it's polyurethane. Lacquer is the most common finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strippers

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 8:24PM
Jon1270

Raising the grain of the wood is not a disaster. It takes a lot less sandpaper and work to knock down a bit of raised grain than it does to sand off the entire finish.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 8:29AM
karinl

We use a stripper called E-Z Way that does not require water clean-up and does not raise the grain at all. We mail order it - I don't think it's available in stores.

Although I think it would fall into the ATM category according to the article linked above, I'm not sure it's precisely addressed in the article as it is extremely effective on multiple coats of paint as well as on lacquers.

KarinL

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 2:51AM
karinl

Actually I'd better amend my use of the word "lacquer" as I'm not sure if that's the kind of clear coat I've used it on, might have been varnish or whatever was used on old furniture. I've certainly never had it fail me though, through a fair variety of projects.

KarinL

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 2:58AM
More Discussions
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™