Fair compensation for wrong windows?

mileadayOctober 3, 2009

I ordered 5 new slider windows for my addition and stated which direction they should open.On my list of windows sizes I wrote the opening direction from the inside (which isn't how the manufacturer does it),but the guy who took the order wrote it correctly as looking from the exterior. I had previously ordered the same type of windows and asked that they use that order to match color, grids, type of glass, etc. I should add that this is not a big box store but one that deals mostly with local contractors (and doesn't seem to like women). I signed off on the paperwork but really only checked the size of the windows and made sure the grids and color were ok. Dumb me, I figured the pros who do the ordering would take care of the rest. I came home from a day at work to find the windows installed and opening in the opposite direction of what I wanted. It's not the biggest problem in the world but I wanted them to slide to the left because of air flow and operational issues. I don't want to have them ripped out and replaced but I do want to be compensated for the mistake which I feel was on their part. I returned to the store and was told that I hadn't specified direction and when I produced the paperwork showing that I had they became very defensive. They said they would check with the window co. to see if I could simply reverse the glass which I knew you couldn't. Days later they told me they couldn't get thru to the co. for 3 days - even tho I had spoken with a rep. the first day and had the answer in a few minutes. When I confronted them again, I was told there was a mis-communication. I said no there wasn't and once again produced the paperwork. Four days ago, I was told that they would see what they could do for me. The windows were approx. $250. each and I have given this store approx. $30,000. worth of my money in the past year. What would you accept as fair compensation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbie_2008

In my opinion, the windows work or they don't and a partial refund won't change that. Why compensation? Its like trying to punish someone. So I guess the answer is NONE, either they are fine or they are NOT. If NOT then out they go.

Bookmark   October 10, 2009 at 1:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mileaday

Debbie 2008, Yes, the windows function but they are not what I ordered. By the time I realized the mistake, they had already been installed and the siding was ready to go within a few days. To have changed them would have been a major headache because it would have thrown everything off schedule - framing, plumbing, electrical - and I wasn't willing to do that. So, I will work with the windows as is but it was still a mistake on their part and they have admitted to it. You see it as punishment, I see it as accountability. So, what I was asking was what others would think would be a fair compensation.

Bookmark   October 10, 2009 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
salbwil
incorporating old leaded glass in new casement windows
We own a home with large leaded glass windows (21)...
prospect
Scherer Bros Windows Rotting
We have just learned our bottom window sashes are badly...
talkingtony
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Sponsored Products
Andalusia Rectangular Cocktail Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Linie Design | Brilliant Leather Rug
YLiving.com
Old Modern Handicraft Dickie Walker
Beyond Stores
LA Baby Evacuation Frame for Window Cribs with Heavy Duty Casters - WC504
$74.99 | Hayneedle
Maplewood Textured Dupioni Silk Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 84
$158.95 | Bellacor