Frame - WIP

crazymosaicsOctober 20, 2008

Hello,

Here is a picture frame that I did for my friend's upcoming wedding. I used silver Van gogh glass and I spelled the word Love and the date using some jewlrey making beads I got from Hobby Lobby a while ago. It took awhile to cut everything but I think it looks nice. I'm going to use black grout and either paint it silver or black. I haven't decided yet. Let me know what you think :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daisyme

Wow. What a beautiful frame! I love the blue and it'll be awesome grouted in black. I'd use the silver paint, as it's a wedding present and silver would be so apt.

Would you tell us about the grid? I've only worked in mosaic and it looks like a glass cutting tool? Can you cut unscored glass with nippers, or do you nip or break it all after scoring? I'm beginning to ask questions, as I love all the glass projects!

I can hardly wait to see how you finish this. It'll be even more beautiful!

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 12:09PM
crazymosaics

It's actually the waffle grid that I use with the Beetle Bits cutting system. The guy who invented it was at a store in Skokie, IL and gave a presentation and I just had to have it. It makes cutting the tiles a lot easier. I just score it (in no time) and then use running plier to break off the pieces. These pieces of tiles are smaller than a half inch in size. I don't know what i was thinking!!! :)

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 12:33PM
mermaidmosaics

WOw, I LOVE this frame. What a wonderful idea to spell the words out in beads!!! Next time I will try that. Love that silver van gogh, it looks very silvery blue to me. Just beautiful!! They will love it.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 12:57PM
texaswild

What a WONDERFUL gift, and so beautifully worked. My goodness, LESS THAN 1/2 INCH???!!! Phew - must've been tough. That's a LOT of tiles. NEAT work, girlie.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 1:33PM
shrty411

Beautiful Gift!! You can't go wrong with van gogh glass!!

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 3:59PM
katishooked

This is a very beautiful frame. Love the shimmery glow of the van gogh. Let us see it in black. That may tell you whether to do the silver or not.

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 6:20PM
sunnyca_gw

Your friends will be thrilled!! What a wonderful memory of their special day!! I think the black grout & silver will be perfect!! Jan

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 2:53AM
meadel

This is beautiful , what bling !
You can't go wrong with black grout. I agree w/katishooked . After it's grouted you'll know what direction to take.

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 6:40AM
Calamity_J

WOW!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! I immediately started drooling over your bettle bits system!lol! My DS and his Dad were born on 10/26!

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 9:09AM
lovemosaics

That is beautiful!
I have to research the beetle bits thing....Love what you did! How expensive is the cutting thing? I have a couple old ones, and they have never scored well enough to really use all the tiles. I always seem to buy precut stuff if I need squares.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 10:26PM
cindiloo

Wow! Really like this...you did a fantastic job! The silver van gogh is awesome and the 'love' and the date are a nice touch! The Beetle Bits system is the best and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone! Delphi glass has it in a bundle.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 3:38AM
More Discussions
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™