Patio doors purchased at lumber yard vs Box store?

jaesOctober 11, 2013

On forums, it is commonly stated that the quality of a patio door is better when purchase at a milwork/lumber yard vs a "big box store" such as Lowes or Home Depot.
I have decided to purchase an Anderson 400 series french patio door --- I was about to purchase it at my local milwork/lumber yard; however, I found out that a nearby "big box store" is having a 15% off sale on the same name brand and model (Anderson series 400).The 15% off amounts to $350 to $400! Question: Is an Anderson 400 series patio door the same exact door at the big box store as it is at my local millwork store (i.e., is the quality of construction the same)? NOTE: Instilation is not a factor; I have an excellent carpenter who is going to install the door no matter where I buy it. Need you input asap --the sale ends in 5 days. ---Jaes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toddinmn

It is the same.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 2:58PM
eastbay10

You will get a more knowledgeable sales person and probably better service pre and post sale at the local yard. Ask them if they will match the price. You might be surprised.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 3:46PM
HomeSealed

+1 to both comments. It is the same product, but you'll likely get better service (certainly more informed) from the supply house.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 4:40PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

I liken the difference between the supply houses and the big box stores to the analogy of talking to a guy/gal about your car that is from Jiffy Lube vs. a full service mechanic's shop.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 7:37AM
jaes

First, thanks to all who took time to response to my question. Update: Beside the Anderson 400 french patio door, I 've decided to also purchase a 2 panel/lite unit (fixed), that matches the look and demensions of the 5' wide patio door unit This will provide an total 10' wide, 4 lite, vista view of the back yard. ---Now, the $ stakes have increased-- the saving, including sales tax, is $600+ ! ---As per your sugestion I will consider asking the local lumber yard to match the price; however, that seems like a somewhat nasty thing to do. --A local lumber yard probably can't match the big store-- even if they did, I would only be causing a strain in my relationship with the lumber yard (I need to do business with them in the future). ---So, (1) I am not walking away from $600+, (2) I don't want to bring tension into my lumber yard relationship---- I am thinking I might just, quietly, buy the units from the big store. --Make sense? ---Jaes.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 10:44AM
eastbay10

Unless you want the look of separate openings, you should simply purchase a 10" x 6'8" OXXO door. I am guessing on your height since you haven't said anything about that.
It would be easier to install and weather proof.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Full Replacement Questions, Resources?!? Woodwright vs. E-series?
We are in the midst of ordering full-frame replacements...
joeyjoey1
Need to keep sun out of old Anderson bay window
This may well be the wrong place and I apologize. ...
quimoi
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Sponsored Products
Sutton 5 Pc. Patio Set
Fifthroom.com
Harry Flushmount by Carpyen
$480.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Umbrella: Key Largo 9-ft. Wood Market Umbrella
$59.98 | Hayneedle
Newport 5-pc. Square Outdoor Dining Set, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Kichler Rivera 19 1/2" High Platinum Outdoor Hanging Light
Lamps Plus
International Caravan Contemporary Resin Wicker Settee Group with Corded Cushion
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™