Titanium Header help - mounting blinds

karynOctober 3, 2013

We're remodeling and the contractor sprayed over the existing holes for our widow shades so I can't find them any more.

I've installed probably over 100 shades and drapes and know what I'm doing - but this time - I'm drilling for top mount brackets and I've hit something about 3/4"-1" deep that is either solid steel or concrete. I can't get a drill through it no matter what I try. Smaller sizes won't go through - I haven't tried a masonry bit yet because I think it's more likely steel though I'm not seeing any shaving of steel or concrete from my attempts to get through this stuff. It's like it's made of titanium or something! The house is masonry built, but the window tolerances should be that tight as to just barely frame the window header.

What can I do????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HomeSealed

Hitting an existing screw or nail?

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 3:55PM
karyn

Thanks -

I think I figured it out after going out and buying titanium drill bits and not making any progress - it's masonry!

I started drilling all over until I found an opening a little further from the window frame so the blinds stick out just a bit - but better than no blinds at all! There is a curtain valance that went over the top of them - now I know why.

I was able to use drywall anchors in the clear areas so the job is finally done - whew!

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 5:23PM
PRO
Windows on Washington

Nice DIY'ing.

Congrats on getting it done.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Andersen Renewal vs Starmark Windows
i currently have a secondary home that we are re designing...
branlance
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
What size windows - 10' + Cathedral Ceiling
I like the look of the hearth room pictured below....
burbmomoftwo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™