milgard fiberglass/monticetto vinyl vs wood clad

fabbyoneOctober 10, 2009

New house started and ready to finalize windows. Originally we had spec'd out Jeld wyn clad in the budget for casements with some round tops on the front of the house. Was reading that some clads in the future will lose their seal and get wood rot. Decided to go with fiberglass, either Marvin or Milgard. Marvin priced way out of the budget. Milgard not as much but there fiberglass was still over budget. Others have recommended there Monticetto vinyl as being one of the best and this window is a little below budget.

The house is custom french country and in 800K rande for central va. I definitely need to start staying with budget on items at this time, should I cut the budget in other areas and go fiberglass, or go with the monticetto vinyl. Apparently, they dont make a round top in fiberglass, so the round will be either clad or vinyl anyway.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dtee

We are putting Simonton 6500 vinyl windows. They seem to be a better window than most I'vew looked at and we are on a very tight budget. I found them going through Home Depot-they don't sell the Simonton in the store a salesman came to the house-they are special made. Oh yeah, these are replacement windows but I'm sure they have new construction windows also.

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Need to keep sun out of old Anderson bay window
This may well be the wrong place and I apologize. ...
quimoi
Scherer Bros Windows Rotting
We have just learned our bottom window sashes are badly...
talkingtony
Window Manufacturers
Ladies and Gents: Wife and I are shopping brands for...
GoldenBear
Plantation Shutters Pros/Cons, need advice
Hi, I'm new to this website and owning a home so forgive...
rehsanipoor
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
salbwil
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™