x post How to Clean Antique Glass

nyboyOctober 17, 2013

Hi I have this posted in antique section and was suggested I also post here. I bought a stainglass light from a old house. The shade is very dirty, I think people in house where smokers the dirt doen't wpe off almost glued on. The shade is made up of many small pieces held togather with lead. I started cleaning small area with windex and was surprized some of the glass was white thats how dirty it is. I am worried about hurting the lead while cleaning.What would be best way to clean?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wackyweeder

Most of the recommendations call for using non ammonia cleaners etc. I am here to tell you, that kind of dirt does not come off without some some heavy duty degreaser. I would use DAWN dish soap. And if it were mine personally, I would use ammonia to remove that stuff. Id rather have a clean lamp than a dirty one, But thats me and depending on age and condition who knows what would happen.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 8:15PM
nyboy

Thanks funny, people in antique forum almost all said use ammonia

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:14AM
texaswild

Best cleanser I've EVER found for ANYTHING is Ala's Totally AWESOME. No acid, no amonia, no bleach and non-flammable. Cleans everything washable - spray on, wipe off. It practically melts it off instantly. Washing walls, door facings - this house wouldn't be w/o it. Get it at the $ stores. I've noticed Walmart has started carrying it too.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:41AM
nyboy

For that price I have to try it lol. Ps the dollar stores in southern NY are $1.25 now.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 12:47PM
wackyweeder

Sounds good to try Slow. I know that sticky tacky greasy dusty stuff just wont come off without ammonia and dawn. Like I said if it was mine, a one time cleaning with ammonia I dont think would hurt, But I cant judge for someone else. But that stuff sounds cool to try.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:57PM
meadel

My friend swears by "awesome " cleaner.
I'm afraid to try it..I hate to clean ~ she said she couldn't stop! :-0!
Sorry, I'm not a help on. The SG lamp. I couldn't resist the 'awesome 'plug !

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 8:19PM
silvamae

409 spray cleaner is good at cutting through sticky tacky greasy stuff too. That's what I use on almost everything. However, I've put the "Awesome" cleaner on the grocery list and will try it.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 8:57PM
Flash

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd comment. I have used Tilex bathroom cleaner on some very greasy things (stainless steel shelving that I bought from a KFC, a stove hood vent that hadn't been cleaned in a very long time) and it worked great. I just sprayed it on, left it sit for several minutes, then wiped it off and all the nasty dirt and grease came off with it. Then I used a damp cloth to wipe of the Tilex. I was amazed that it seemed to act as a degreaser.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 2:08AM
More Discussions
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™